Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Social Network Trolling: The Series - Episode 1: Introduction

I'm pretty sure we've left our Facebooks, twitters, Myspaces and even Xangas (brownie points if anyone remembers using those, I did :3) up for other people to take advantage of at some point. We return in horror to the "I like penis" status update with 50+ likes accompanied by a multitude of overjoyed comments over the news.

People can be cruel too, leaving us to come back to a page full of racism, porn, insulted friends or even nothing at all. Yes, once someone gets a hold of our internet IDs it's crazy to expect that it won't be unchanged. There are a variety of techniques and examples of fine social network trolling, all aimed at the juicy core of many an internet citizen.

Like youtube, Social network trolling is a huge topic that I can't possibly (or sanely) restrain to one post.

8 comments:

  1. Yep, I am a huge culprit of this. I cant help it, I love causing a storm among my friends! Most of my friends dont care, but i have had a few that have gotten very upset. Of course, I didn't admit to this one. Recently, I have had to tell my friends to watch what they hack my facebook with. I have a cousin who will take everything 'naughty' that I have on my facebook, and use it to justify the things she has on hers. 12 year olds...And with the non-privacy laws that we have here in America, you REALLY need to be careful of what people are posting about you. You never know what future job might facebook stalk you before an interview.

    But still, hacking is one of my favorite past times with my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Securities on these types of public social networks are very weak. I had a MySpace account a while back when it was a big hype. I had it hacked twice and lost my pictures and videos, after I deleted my account and never came back to use it again. People these days do like posting really outrageous and rude comments. I think it’s just because it’s so simple and easy to do it. Social networks are great to find people and make contacts but the flipside to this is that all your personal information is out in the open ready to be racially commented and hacked. So people really do need to be carefully this issue is not going to go away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Shay you troll you. Maybe you should turn your attention to her facebook and show her just how unreliable a facebook role model can be. Of course, given the steep investment people put into their facebooks and other social network sites nowadays it might just be enough to make her act out even more.

    Andrey:
    It gets ridiculous at how extreme social network hacks can get. Once I get off my ass and get cracking on this series I'll make sure to show you how right you are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a xanga! They were cool back then and better than livejournal or any of the one's similar to it. Anyways, it's interesting that I'm reading this post right now because just now on facebook there was a hack where you received a comment from a friend that says very vulgar things and vote for nicole santos or something. It also says that if you want to remove the post you click on the link "remove this app". It was posted on my wall but luckily my roommate told me to not click that link and actually click the "x" on the post and mark as spam. If you did click "remove this app" then something would pop up and say "go f*** a cactus". Then, it would post that same comment that says vote for nicole santos to everyone that's on your friends list. Why do people do this? I don't understand, it's stupid.

    I, on the other hand, have never posted anything on anyone's facebook or myspace status' if they forgot to sign out and vice versa. I always see it though and you can tell that's obviously someone hacking into theirs because that person wouldn't say those things. If I actually did update someone's status, I would wanna do it a little more subtle where it's still embarrassing but sounds real.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I posted a comment a day or so ago and I came back to revisit this and now it's gone! I guess now I have to repost and remember everything that I said :/
    I used to have a xanga! They were way better than livejournals or anything similar to that. Anyways, it's pretty interesting that I read this because the other day there was kind of a hack thing on facebook. I got a comment from one of my friends that said vulgar things and to vote for nicole santos. It then said that to remove this comment you would have to click the link that says "remove this app". If you click it, it'll say "go f*** a cactus" and immediately send that same comment of voting for nicole santos to all your friends list. Luckily, my roommate that posted this comment came into the room and said that it was a hack and to not click the "remove this app" link. So how to delete it from your wall you have to click the "x" of the post and mark as spam so it will delete the comment as well as delete it again if someone posts it up on my wall again. I don't understand why people do this, it's annoying and that's not going to get that person anywhere by doing those things.

    But, on another note, no one has ever tried to update my status or comment on other people's pages using my account and vice versa. I mean if I happen to be on any of my friends account and I wanted to do something on it, I think it would be subtle yet still embarrassing. Because I do see a lot of my friends write silly posts saying "I have diarrhea" or something disgusting and I immediately know it's not them. I would want to make it seem like it's a real post and that they are the ones that wrote it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's weird, it was posted up yesterday. Blogger was having some issues though so I guess that might be related.

    I was wondering what all that spam was when people were talking about getting screwed over by it. Hearing about it now, I think it's a matter of people not getting familiar enough with Facebook - internet rule of thumb is usually to stay away from links and buttons that the facebook page would otherwise provide for you.

    I remember reading an article about a guy that kept having his face subtly photoshopped (turn a smile into a frown, close the eyelids a little) by his friends. It kept happening so much that he got fed up and showed signs of being trolled hard.

    I like the way you're thinking, the subtle often trumps the overt in art; and that's what trolling is...

    Art.

    ReplyDelete
  7. omg this is so funny...Although I am not a victim of the facebook trolling, many of my friends like to mess with each other. My friend created a youtube account, only to troll on other people. I first learned about what trolling is, from your blog!
    My friend wrote a comment that she knew would upset other people, and deliberately wrote it for that reason. There were about 500 comments back to her. She was even receiving death threats. Trolling can be pretty crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You make this horrid thing about trolling somewhat bearable. =)

    My best guy friend just got his facebook hacked into and someone left a dirty status. When I first read it, I thought it was funny. However, it does hurt for the person being trolled on. It took a week for people to let it go. Thinking back, although my friend does not seem affected, if I was in his position I would be extremely upset. Especially if the people trolling my status are my best friends.

    ReplyDelete