...you're doing something wrong.
This is a nice little reaction post to being labeled a troll. Chock full of rationalizing and some outright denial. But then again, who wouldn't? Seems like trolling is a pretty negative thing if you think about it (duh) - perhaps I've been too jaded to realize that maybe there's a sliver of positivity in trolling. As she (author's handle is feminine, I'll address them as such) points out, she "trolls" to stimulate discussion on any given site.
When I comment I am rude and obnoxious and the OP (original poster- to those not in the know) maybe winces a little but that's what I want, to challenge people and start a discussion
The author seems to have a pretty good idea of what a troll is all about, dropping terms (and defining them) and generally being thorough about the label she definitely doesn't want to be slapped on with.
Is intentionality a factor here? I mean, shooting something with a gun is still shooting them, regardless of whether or not it'll help them or not. There's still a shooter and there's still a victim. You "stimulate discussion" by getting people angry; last I checked that's what's at the core of trolling in general - get people angry.
If you're labeled a troll, then it's already out on the internet. People will see your handle or screen name and they'll immediately (if they were at trolling ground-zero) know what kind of a person they're dealing with. There are distinctions between trolls, like fail trolls and win trolls (which should be self-explanatory) and in no way are they disputable by the recipient.
Nice post, this really goes in depth of the intentions of trolls, I understand about trolling, but in the article you do a good job of informing the uninformed reader. Also you make a great analogy(?) with the shooter, does it make it right you are asking. A question I must ask you, do you think charlie sheen is the biggest troll of all, and can trolling be applied to T.V.?
ReplyDeleteCharlie Sheen being the biggest troll? Nah, I wouldn't say so - but I would say he's one of the greater and well-known trolls out there. I admit, even I get the urge to smack the guy across the head every time I watch that interview. Then again my criteria for an epic troll would be something that causes the victims to do something drastic and hilarious. But yeah, he's up there.
ReplyDeleteAs for trolling being applied to tv, yeah it can. It can happen at the program level, where something provocative is shown within a program; saying something highly antisemetic on the news would be something like this.
Trolling can also occur on a network/station level, where the station puts on something highly inappropriate for their target audience (by force, though sometimes deliberately; think porn on nick or cartoon network and you'll get the idea. Adult Swim's way of handling their block would be a milder version of this.